They are prepared basically from bengal gram/chickpeas in general.Chickpeas are an excellent source of Fiber and Folic acid.And as like anyother dal's its a rich source of protein's and minerals.Chickpeas contain both soluble and insoluble fiber,which help's in controlling the cholesterol levels.I got these information's while surfing about chickpeas.
There are different ways in preparing this vada,some may add cinnamon,garlic.Usually i used to make this vada including the above said materials.But this is something different.I got to know about this vada through my neighborhood aunty,she makes it excellent.I have tasted her vada's. Only with little ingredients she makes wonder.I got this recipe from her,and i have tried to replicate her version.If you are interested with this recipe,you can make a try.
IngredientsBengal Gram - 1 Cup
Big Onion (Chopped) - 1no
Green Chillies(Chopped) -1no
Dry Red Chillies - 1 or 2
Saunf - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves (Chopped)- few
Coriander Leaves(Chopped) - few (Optional)
Salt - as reqd
- Take the bengal gram and soak in water for about 2 - 3 hours.If you want crunchy soak only for this duration,not more than that.After 2-3 hours ,drain the water in a collander.Let it completly drain for atleast 20 minutes.Meanwhile ,in a mixer add the dry red chillies and saunf,jeera and give a dry run.Then add the drained chickpeas/bengal gram.Take only about 5 to 6 Tablespoon of bengal gram at a time,i mean in batches,and grind it coarsely.
- Once coarsely ground,take out the mixture and place in a bowl.Similarly add the remaining bengal gram and grind it.And add to the bowl.Then add the chopped onions,green chillies,and curry leaves and salt and give a mix.
- Ensure that the salt is evenly spread.Place a kadai,add oil let it heat.Take small balls out of the vada batter and ,roll it to the shape of a ball and gently press with your palms,its the shape of these vada's,When the oil is hot to fry the vada's ,add these shaped vada's.Fry them in Medium flame.
- Donot keep the flame too high,else the inner portion wont get cooked.So ensure you maintain proper temperature to get golden colored vada's.Once the vada's get their color,remove from the oil and keep them in tissue paper,to remove the excess oil.Similarly do for the remaining vada's.
- Its ready now.You can have it as your evening snack ,serve with white coconut chutney.Also it serves as your side dish for all variety rices,morkuzhambu,and even for your ven-pongal.
This recipe goes to Vegan Thursdays...This is my first post for Vegan Thursdays hosted by Priya Suresh,i'm happy to do a post for Vegan Thursday(VT),Thanks Priya akka.