This is a very famous south Indian street food,where you can find in every nook and corner's of the main places in south india,esp Tamilnadu.It is a best served evening snack ,very healthy too.Because urad dall has the benefit of giving strength to back bones,particularly it is recommended for women's health.Every kid likes fried stuff's and here is the one that most attracts the kids and of-course it's a healthy food too.Here am sharing the secret of a fluffy crispy urad dall.
To get yummy urad vada's just grind them in your wet grinder's rather than using mixer's.By the way of grinding in wet grinder's you can yield even more fluffier vada's compared to that using mixer's.So the next time when you use your grinder's for making idli/dosa batter's soak this urad dall in advance and grind them and see the magic you get.
IngredientsUrad Dall - 1Cup
Green Chillies - 2 to 3
Small Onions - 1/2 cup
Jeera seeds - 1tsp
Ginger - 1" inch stick
Curry Leaves - few
Asafoetidia - a pinch
Salt - as reqd
Water - as reqd
Oil - to fry
- Soak the urad dall with required amount of water and leave them for atleast 1hour.Then strain the entire water and keep aside,meanwhile keep grinder ready .
- Add the strained dall and grid them by adding water little by little ,dont add water all at once.Until you get a fluffy batter grind them.Process might take atleast 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop green chilies,ginger and small onions.Once the batter is ready remove from the grinder.Mix salt,asafoetidia and the chopped items along with the batter and mix well.Take a polythene sheet,preferably milk packets.In a small bowl have some water,which is required to spread on the polythene sheet before shaping vada's.Apply some oil to the polythene sheet.
- In a kadai add oil and let them heat.Once the oil has reached the particular temperature(if you drop a small pint of batter the battered ball should hit the bottom of the kadai and should immediately rise up) pinch a small portion from the ready batter and spread on the polythene sheet and gently make a hole in the center and carefully reverse the polythene sheet towards your fingers.Ensure your fingers are dipped in water and wet before transferring ,so that the vada may get easily flipped to the boiling oil.
- Fry them in Med-High flame and turn them when the one side looks cooked/golden brown.Remove from oil and place them in a tissue to remove the excess oil.
- Serve them hot with coconut chutney...Yummy vada's are ready