Rasam ,South indian soup ,is prepared in various methods.Also many varieties of rasam are being prepared.It can be taken with rice and also consumed as a drink,if we have starting symptoms of nasal congestion.Rasam is very light to digest ,so it is generally advised for sick people to have for their lunch.I have posted the rasam recipe which my mom prepares at home,its simple and easy to prepare.I struggled to get the close match of the rasam mom prepares,but now somehow i have got the similar taste of mom's rasam by preparing it again and again.To get the perfect rasam please follow the instruction's below.I'm sure you too will get it.
Tomato(Medium Size) - 2
Tamarind - a gooseberry size
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves - few
Salt - as reqd
Water - as reqd
Garlic pods-5 to 6
Black Peppercorns- 1.5 tsp
Jeera seds - 1 tsp
Green chilly - 1'inch size
Oil - 1tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilly (broken)- 2 to 3 pieces
Garlic (crushed) - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - a sprig
- In a kadai/heavy bottomed vessel add water and boil the tomatoes till its outer skin splits.Switch off.Transfer it to a vessel (is using kadai to boil tomatoes).Add turmeric powder,salt,hing and add required amount of water.When the water is warm enough, add the tamarind.You can also soak the tamarind separately in a bowl ,mash it to extract the juice and then mix it to the vessel.Let it stand for 10minutes.
- Mash the tomatoes and tamarind with your hands after 10 minutes.Then in a mixer grind pepper,garlic,jeera and green chilly.Add them to the mashed tomato-tamarind water.Add chopped coriander.
- In a pan temper with mustard seeds,crushed garlic,dry red chill and curry leaves.Add the rasam mix to the pan.Let it boil in medium flame.When the upper layer of the rasam forms a foamy layer Switch off the flame.Dont boil more than that stage,else the taste will be perfect.
- Add the other ingredients in the temper section,only after all the mustard seeds have crackled.
- Dont over boil the rasam mix,the tamarind juice will spoil the perfect taste if the rasam get overboiled.
- It's shelf life is 7days,if stored in refrigerator immediately after use.