Morkuzhambu ,a mild-spicy yogurt based gravy.Since it's summer now,most of us take curd,buttermilk,lassi to cool our body.So this would be spiced yogurt curry ,which could be served hot ,and would be your alternative to the normal curd rice.Not only during summer,this curry is prepared all through the year.The probiotics present in the yogurt has a balancing effect to our guts,and helps in easy digestion.It also has a soothing effect to our digestive system.It can also be said as south indian kadi,because of its similar nature with yogurt based version,that's prepared in north india.
Ash Gourd/White Pumpkin - 1/4 Cup(Optional)
Fresh curd - 2 Cup
Turmeric Powder - 1 Tsp
Asafoetedia/Hing Powder - 1/4 Tsp
Water - 1 Cup
Salt - as required
To Soak and Grind
Thoor Dhall - 2 Tbsp
Green Chilly -1 No
Jeera - 1 Tsp
Coconut (Grated)- 2 Tbsp
Oil - 1 Tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
- Boil the Ash Gourd in water with a dash of salt and keep aside when they are ready.In your mixer add the fresh curd, asafoetedia ,turmeric,salt and give it a pulse.Collect the curd mixture in a vessel and keep aside.
- Soak the thoor dall along with Jeera for 1/2 hr. In a mixer add the soaked dall,jeera,chilly and coconut to a smooth paste.And mix the paste to the curd mixture.Now the main part is over.
- In a pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.If you wish to add the boiled ash gourd add it after tempering.You can also add cubed Ladies Finger,saute them until they are cooked.
- Then add the prepared mix and let it boil.Keep the flame in Medium-Low.
- Switch off the flame when the boiling mixture forms a frothy upper layer.Do not let it boil ,after that.Else the gravy will curdle.So keep an eye while boiling.
- Now it's ready ,serve hot /warm .