Bored with the usual gravies for chappathi/roti's,so I planned to do something with the legumes.And chose the black chickpeas.Usually we prepare sundal, kuzhambu with this black chickpeas.So this time i made for my chappathi.Long time back i found this recipe in Niya's blog,didnt take a hand note of it ,so tried to replicate it by myself with a few modifications,Happy it came out well.Note it,its a semi-dry gravy.
Health facts about this legume family is,it has a better effect in regulating the blood fat levels including LDL and cholesterol levels.Its a good source of protein ,makes you feel full even with a half bowl.There are two types of chickpeas the white one also called as Kabuli Channa,and the other one is Black Chickpeas,which is the desi or Naatu/Naati variety.For more information about the Chickpeas please click here.The gravy we are going to see today is made with Black Chickpeas,you make it with kabuli variety too,but for this type of masala,the desi variety goes well.
Black Chickpeas - 1 Cup (Soak overnight)
Onions - 3 Tbsp (Chopped)
Tomato - 1 no (Chopped)
Coriander Powder - 3 tsp
Coriander leaves - few
Curry leaves - few
Salt,Oil,water - as reqd
Onion - 1 small onion (roughly chopped)
Cinnamon stick - 1/2"inch(1 no)
Garlic pods- 5-6
Ginger Stick- 1"
Saunf/Perunjeerakam- 1 tsp
Peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilly - 2 to 3 broken and deseeded
Grated Coconut - 3 Tbsp
Khus Khus - 1/2 tsp
Oil- 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- First and foremost,pressure cook the soaked chickpeas for 2 whistles.Drain the water and keep aside the chickpeas in a seperate bowl.Dont discard the water.You could use the cooked water in this recipe instead of plain water.In a pan add some oil and saute the ingredients(except coconut and khus khus) ,for 3-4 minutes,or until the raw smell of ginger and onion has gone off.Then add the coconut and khus khus
- Saute well for 4 minutes,Switch off the flame..Let it cool down.Once cooled grind it in your mixer to a smooth paste.Keep aside.In another/same pan add some oil and splatter the mustard seeds
- Add the chopped onions and curry leaves,saute until onion turns transparent,add the chopped tomato saute for awhile.Then add the ground masala paste.
- Saute again for awhile,this is done to remove the leftover raw flavor sticking in the masala paste.Finally add our main ingredient,Black Chickpeas mix well with the paste.Add some water,may be 1/4 Cup.Give it a mix.Close the pan with a lid and cook for 5 -7 minutes.Switch off the flame once the water is absorbed well.
- Serve with garnished coriander leaves.
- For fast cooking ,you could avoid pressure cooking the chickpeas and do the rest cooking process(except for preparing the masala) in your cooker and add the soaked channa (unboiled) and give it a 2-3 whistles.You could save at least 15 minutes by this method.