This cake is absolutely a chocolicious treat to my readers.Over a week i got bored in my kitchen i wanted to try out something new and since its been long time i baked any stuff ,i decided to bake.And what to bake ? this question revolved my head like anything...Then what to do ? I took my recipe collections to find out something interesting and ,finally sort out 3 cake recipes .I felt problematic in choosing the right recipe.If given a chance i would go out and work in my kitchen till late night to finish off the 3 bakes ...Really...Am enthusiastic towards baking!! .As am not good enough in selecting one from three ,so i left this duty of choosing a recipe to my dear H,and he selected this recipe. Initially i was not much impressed to start making this cake,since am not much impressed towards any chocolate cake I've ever tasted I am die hard person towards Chocolates,but not a chocolate cake fan ever before that.But all my opinions turned down after tasting the final slice. Omg ...really it was so impressing and i could taste the heavenly chocolaty flavor with this final glazing too.
I became a fan for Mocha flavor from now on!!.I guess the addition of chocolate bars enhanced the taste ,rather than a cocoa powder if added.To get the original flavor of this cake ,i suggest you to go with chocolate bars.And i think this cake could go places even for special occasions.Until tasting this cake i had a mindset of marble cakes coming under the category of tea cake,but my conclusion was misunderstood and I've changed it ,that this marble cake could be used both as tea cake and celebration process.Agree !!! Readers please excuse me of not clicking the cake slice as I didn't get my perfect marbled effect..Since it was my first attempt in trying marble cake.I will update my perfect marbled effect the next time when i make this recipe.
Lets look into the baking method.
All Purpose Flour - 1 Cup (150 gms) (My 1 Cup measured to 150 gms)
Butter (softened at room temperature) - 1/2 Cup
Castor Sugar - 1/2 Cup (heap measurement)
Milk powder - 1/2 Cup
Eggs - 2 no
Instant Coffee Powder - 1/2 Tbsp
Chocolate - 28 gm (semi-sweet or dark compound,broken into small pieces)
Baking Powder - 3/4 tsp
Lukewarm Water /Milk - 3 Tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
For Chocolate Glaze
Chocolate - 60 gm (semi-sweet or dark compound,broken into small pieces)
Butter - 1 Tbsp
Water - 1 Tbsp
- Preheat Oven to 200°C / 390 ° F .Grease the pan with butter and dust with a little amount of all purpose flour ,or place you parchment/butter paper in the pan.Sieve the flour with baking powder and keep aside.
- In a Heatproof bowl take the broken chocolate bars along with the coffee powder,If you are using a microwave for melting the chocolate keep it 30 seconds first,at the end take them out and finely mix them break any unsolved chocolates and again keep it under 10 or 20 secondn.You should get the mocha in a running consistency.
- Alternatively you could follow this simple method if your oven is in preheat mode.Take a pan fill with water allow to boil ,when it starts boiling place your mocha mix kept in a heatproof bowl and mild keep on mixing until all the chocolate has solved and it reaches a flowing consistency.keep aside in a warm place.Note depending on the temperature in your place the melted mocha chocolate may again get hard.so better keep it under hot water .(My melted mocha started to get hard near the edges when i was about to mix half of the batter ,so keep in note to keep the mocha mix under hot water.)
- In a bowl add the softened butter and sugar and blend them for a while ,don't over do them ,else the butter would curdle.
- Add the milk powder and beat for few seconds.Then add the eggs and beat them until they are incorporated,say 1minute.Remove the blender.Take a wooden spoon / ladle,Add the flour, mildly fold the flour and ensure the batter is well mixed without any lumps.If you find the Batter to be thick add upto 3 Tbsp of warm water or milk.If not omit adding water./milk.
- Divide the batter into portions and add half of the batter to the mocha mix and bind them well.In the other half batter add vanilla essence and mix well.Take your pan ,place spoonfuls of the two batters alternatively.
- With the help of a skewer drag through to create a marble effect.Bake in the preheated oven under 200°C for 10 minutes and at 180°C for 20 minutes.Check for the cake by inserting a wooden skewer at the center,if it comes out clean then remove the cake from the oven allow to cool ,invert the cake tin and remove the cake .Place the cake under a wire rack to cool.
- For chocolate glazing ,place the broken chocolate bars,butter and water and keep under microwave for 30 - 40 seconds.The glaze should be free flowing.Immediately spread the glaze on the top and on the sides of the cake ,working quickly.Let it set .
- Serve once the glaze is set.